This don't-miss workshop will focus on internal carbon pricing in institutions of higher education. Using colleges, universities, and businesses that already have internal carbon prices as case studies, we will explore the benefits of and challenges involved in implementing an internal carbon price.
The workshop will examine different models for internal carbon prices, including models adopted by Yale, Vassar and Swarthmore. Also covered: how to build campus support and buy-in for a carbon price, and how it can be used as an educational tool and a possible internal funding source. We will support attendees in developing a plan to explore an internal carbon price at their home institution.
Swarthmore Sustainability Director Aurora Winslade gave an overview of carbon pricing at PERC's fall conference in October. If you were there, you saw her presentation and know what an intriguing idea this is. If you missed it, you can download it now to get a glimpse of the way this idea could work on your campus.
The workshop will cover...
- Economics of carbon pricing
- Using campus carbon pricing to fund sustainability
- Carbon fees vs.cap and trade
- Why a carbon price on college and university campuses
- Model & Pilot - use the microcosm of the campus to model different carbon pricing policies
- A look at three different approaches to carbon pricing: Vassar, Yale and Swarthmore
- Carbon pricing endorsement campaigns
- Examining Models for carbon pricing: shadow price, internal carbon price, charging and more.
- What internal carbon charge frameworks are
- Ways to seek buy-in
Join us for an in-depth look at the exciting possibilities of implementing an internal price on carbon on your campus.
OPTIONAL: Participants are invited to gather for a cash-bar Happy Hour after the event.